You are invited to The Eastern: your Japanese restaurant in Sutton Coldfield. The Eastern is one of the few restaurants in Sutton Coldfield which offers Japanese dishes.
Our menu contains over 100 Pan Asian dishes including several authentic Japanese dishes. We will be adding new Japanese dishes in the future based on our founding philosophy.
The Eastern was conceived on the idea of offering a range of Pan-Asian dishes that would beautifully complement each other. China, Thailand, Malaysia and Japan draw on a common food palette across certain dishes. By bringing these dishes together, you can enjoy a symphony of harmonic flavours.
This philosophy is best represented by our very popular Eastern Feast set menu which includes tempura and teriyaki- two very popular Japanese dishes.
The Eastern Feast
Prawn crackers with sweet chilli dip starters
- Thai vegetable spring rolls
- Japanese prawn tempura
- Malay chicken satay
- BBQ spare ribs
served with assortment of dips.
- Chicken green curry (Thai)
- Sweet and sour pork (Chinese)
- Sliced beef in teriyaki sauce (Japanese)
- Stir fried mixed vegetables in garlic sauce (Malaysian)
served with Chinese sausage egg fried rice
This is by far our most ordered set menu and it is easy to see why. It includes Sweet and Sour Pork and Steak Teriyaki which are by far our most popular dishes. The favoured Thai dish is Green Curry and Chicken Satay (a Malaysian dish) remains a firm favourite.
Secondly, the starters and mains compliment each other beautifully. This works so well that if you have yet to try it, we recommend that you order it next time you visit even if you have yet to sample one or two of the dishes. If you like one, then you’ll enjoy the rest.
This is the type of combination that you cannot enjoy anywhere else in the region as few UK restaurants have the technical know-how to re-create dishes from four different regions.
There are many Chinese restaurants in the region; a handful of Thai, a few Japanese and The Eastern is the only Malaysian restaurant in the area.
Executive Chef Lee is from Malaysia and has worked in a range of restaurants giving him the know-how and experience to produce a menu with over 100 authentic dishes.
You will find that all of our dishes combine in different ways to create a taste sensation. You also have the choice to enjoy a range of dishes in one cuisine. This also allows diners to enjoy a different cuisine to their partner, for example some people prefer Thai to Chinese and vice versa so why not join us rather than having to endure a dinner with your partner that you don’t fully appreciate.
Your Japanese Dishes
Japanese cuisine has a range of tastes and textures and we have focused on the ones that work best with our other cuisines.
- Miso Soup- Delicately flavoured miso paste soup with tofu, seaweed and spring onions.
- Mixed Vegetable Tempura- Lightly battered crispy broccoli, carrots, onions and asparagus with ginger tempura sauce.
- Prawn Tempura- Crispy and lightly battered prawns with ginger tempura sauce
- Yakatori- Grilled chicken on skewers with teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds. If you like Chicken Satay, then give this a try for a new taste sensation.
- Jumbo King Prawn Mango Salad- Fresh king prawns in tamarind seafood sauce served with fresh mango, and crispy salad.
- Teriyaki Salmon Steak– Salmon steak in our homemade teriyaki sauce with mushrooms and asparagus.
- Sirloin Steak in Teriyaki Sauce- Slices of sirloin in a tasty teriyaki sauce with black mushrooms and asparagus.
- Chicken in Teriyaki Sauce– Grilled chicken with black mushroom and asparagus in teriyaki sauce.
Why not join us this evening and discover why we are the best Japanese restaurant in Sutton Coldfield?